Monday, August 4, 2008

Wild Alaska!!

Well this is the first post that I have done myself. Cherice is always trying to get me to do it, but I always tell her she is doing a great job. I just took a vacation to Alaska and Cherice told me that this one was all mine.......So here we go!! Alaska is the type of vacation that I have always wanted to go on! So me, my dad, my brother Jeff, and my Brother-in-law Daniel all went up there for a week of fun. We flew into Anchorage and stayed most of the nights with Daniels brother and family. They live in Anchorage and was kind enough to let us stay with them. The time we spent in Anchorage we did a lot of site seeing and touristy stuff. We also took 3 days and 2 nights away from Anchorage and drove down south to do some fishing. We first went to Homer Alaska and went out in the ocean to fish for Halibut. We then drove to a city called Soldatna Alaska and fished for King Salmon on the Kenai River. I was so amazed at the fun we had in both places, and we came away with lots of fish to bring home. (Daniel was the big winner with the biggest Halibut and King salmon caught. His King Salmon was the biggest one caught the whole time our guide had worked on that river. "55 Pounds" WOW)
We also went golfing one day in the rain, drove up towards Denali National Park, and ate lots of good food! We didn't see a lot of animals due to it raining the whole time we were there, but we did see a few moose and lots of whales! It sure was a fun trip and I can't wait to do it all again!!!!

This is the 4 of us standing in front of Thunder-Bird Falls. You can't see the falls in this picture but it was really cool. I didn't think my dad was going to make the mile hike up to the falls overlook because his knees were hurting him, but he did great and it was well worth it.
This is the 4 of us standing outside the Anchorage Harley Davidson. They had a chrome Bear outside of the store and we just had to get some pictures. (Look at Jeff -- He was on his phone the whole trip.. Ha Ha)
Just some cool scenery out in the Wild Alaska!!
I just couldnt pass up the chance to kiss a moose....With a little tongue!!
. Homer Alaska was a really cool place, and we had a blast while we were there. We were just glad that it stopped raining long enough to let us get out on the ocean to do some halibut fishing.
This is me holding Up a couple of the Halibut I caught. We each got to keep 2 of them, but I probably caught 8 or 10 in total. They are like pulling up a wet rug, which after 8 hours of doing it I was beat!!
This is my dad holding up a few of the halibut he caught. He was just glad that our boat had some nice couches in the cabin for the 2 hour trip out in the ocean and 2 hours back. We all took some good naps going out and back in!!
This is Daniels big catch!! This King Salmon was 55 pounds and won the biggest fish of the day. I was definitely jealous of him and his trophy fish!!
Jeff didnt do so shabby himself!! This is a fish that weighed 35 pounds, which is above average for King Salmon. (The average is around 30 pounds.) It was so much fun bringing these big fish in!!

Next time we go we need to order a little less rain!!!!!!

2 comments:

Josi said...

Good job on your first post Corey! I guess I should have had Jeff post the Alaska trip on our blog. I didn't really write much about it, but I am glad you guys had such a good time. I love the picture of Jeff on the phone, that is so Jeff!

Ryan said...

The next time you go I had better be right by you. It looks like you had a good time. i cant wait to talk to you about it. I'm serious about going with you guys next time. It has been a few years since I had been up there. Its some beautiful country isn't it?

Ryan